Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Trying New Things

I didn't post yesterday. I enjoyed an hour massage, did some shopping, had dinner with family then tried a new treatment for MS. I'm not sure how it all really works yet. I'll post all the information as I learn it. Basically, your hooked up to a machine (Dynatron STS) that uses electrical impulses at acupuncture and acupressure points to stimulate the nerves to release neuropeptides. Neuropeptides are chemicals responsible for a lot of neurologically related functions. So, the theory is that if you can induce the body to make more of these neuropeptides and increase the circulation of oxygen in the blood (the machine also works to improve circulation and with MS improved circulation will only help myelin sheaths) you will see a decrease in pain and an improvement in neurological function. There are very specific points at which the electrodes and magnets are placed. You are then connected to a machine and the frequency, pulse rate, etc. are set. I lasted about a minute (the goal was 7) before we stopped as I started having a weird feeling in my right hand. I'll be trying the machine again tonight along with learning a lot more about how it works and what it does. If you would like more information go to paindefeat.com. It's the web site of the physician, Dr. Rhodes, who developed the machine. He designed the machine for use with patients who suffer from chronic pain disorders (with tremendous success).

No comments: