Wednesday, October 22, 2008

And the band plays on......


off key. That seems to be my life with MS. My favorite time of the day begins and ends about 10 seconds befoAdd Imagere full consciousness kicks in. It's those brief nanoseconds when I hover between sleep and wakefulness. During that brief period of time I don't have MS, I'm not thinking about MS and my brain isn't awake enough yet to remind me of my limitations. Then, I try to roll over and the band begins playing off key. Rather like 6th grade band. Remember the 6th grade band?They sure try hard. 200% effort is given. They just aren't quite there yet. Just like my central nervous system. The brain sure tries to get the signal where they need to be, but everything is off key. I wake up each day like everyone else. Not knowing what the day may bring. Yet while others worry about what bill may come in the mail, the grind of yet another day at the office or the quote the auto repair shop will be giving them, their band plays in perfect tune. Rather like the Philharmonic. My day begins with the same mental worries. Then things like trying not to fall and getting dressed without help become my focus. Once I'm dressed, (independently and without falling I hope), and in the chair my life, for the most part, IS like everyone else's. Same worries, same frustrations, same joys. And the band plays on.......

1 comment:

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Great post!!! I hope you write a book about your MS journey. You have a GREAT voice that the reader can identify with.

My family has been touched with MS and I am going to keep you in my thoughts and prayers too. I know how frustrating it is not to do the things you wish you could do. But I also know the great journey you are on, discovering a deeper self. It shows in your writing.

Rock on!!!

Blessings! JJ