Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Getting out

Even though Halloween is Friday, we had temperatures in the low 80's here today. Which is amazing. Normally we've had our first snow by now. I took full advantage of the beautiful weather and took the new chair out today. It was great being able to get out ALONE. I love my husbands company, but it was wonderful to get out and pick up a friend for lunch all by myself! I feel like I've received a gift. I have some of my independence back! Of course, figuring out how everything works to break the chair down, get it in the car etc. is going to take a little time. The more I do it, the easier it will be and the faster I'll be able to do it. The chair is light enough that I can sit in the drivers seat, pop the wheels off and put them in the back seat one at a time while holding the frame of the chair up with one hand. Then it's just a matter of taking the arms off, folding the back down and lifting the frame into the passenger seat. I have to learn which order to do all the steps in that is the easiest for me. Just making ONE trip wiped me out. I don't know about everyone else with MS, but mornings, on average, is when I seem to have most of my energy. Every now and then I'll get a burst in the afternoon, but not often. I try to ration out my energy to get it to last as long as I can, because I want to DO as much as I can. Especially with the weather being so nice. I expect to come back from Texas to WINTER here in the mountains, so I want to spent as much time outdoors as I can. The new chair will make doing that a lot easier!

No comments: