Saturday, September 26, 2009

Believing and beating back.

I'm still using the machine several times a day. I actually went on a very short walk with my husband this evening just using a cane! Of course, the pace was that of a snail and it was only half a block, but it's a heck of an improvement.

Now, I'm sittting in the family room nursing very sore legs and savoring the victory! Makes me once again believe that this disease CAN be beat back. I hate this disease. I hate what it's done to me and my life. I hate what it's done to some of m fellow bloggers. However, I choose to turn all that emotion into internal strength. Strength that I am determined to use to fight this disease and help motivate others to do the same.

I believe that BELIEVING we can overcome this disease, beat it back, is the first step in really being able to do so.

1 comment:

Webster said...

Kimberly, I was stuck in a wheelchair within a month of my diagnosis in 1981 at age 25. It took two years to work my way out of it. This was before the many drugs we have now for MS - all I used was baclofen for the spasticity in my legs. My motto back then was "nothing improves walking like walking." I also learned to swim and went to the pool regularly. There are no guarantees, but sometimes it can be beat back with persistence and tenacity.

Yes Kim, living with MS takes courage.